My personal advice would be to get a tactile chess set (sometimes called a braille chess set, even though they don't have braille on them), and start playing live against a human.

To explain these are sets where there are holes in each square on the board and the peaces are on pegs so you can put your mits on the board without knocking them over, one side (usually the white, though not always), has pins on the top to tell them apart. I'm not sure where you'd get one from in your part of the world, they tend to be sold by the same places who sell braille cards, dice etc.

Personally, while I understand chess notation, I find it near impossible to hold spacial information about the board in mind without the board. I want to put my hand on the white knight and my other finger on the square it will move to, and then put my fingers (and to a very much lesser extent my disfunctional eyeballs), on the surrounding squares and see if that move will be a bad or good one.

This is why I've never got on with the various audio Chess games like BGChess challenge, Kchess elite etc. Sinse while they have some good audio overviews for the board, fundamentally you are still just getting the information square by square, and I don't find myself able to old enough spacial information about the board in mind for that sort of overview to really help me or make it possible for me to play chess.

Of course this is me, and I will freely admit my spacial coordination is pretty cruddy, (even in mobility I tend to substitute routes and land mark memory instead of working out where I am spacially), you might be different though I'm guessing by your comment you could be in a similar position, hence my suggestion of a tactile chess set.

Beware the grue!