Hi Shaun,

To be honest I don't see what Jaws having a scripting language has
anything to do with this discussion of screen readers and games. Sure,
its true that Jaws was one of the first screen readers to support a
scripting language which made it very powerful, and helped push it to
the forefront of screen reader technology, but that in of itself has
little to do with this discussion here.

Equally true NVDA is written in Python which in of itself is basically
an all purpose scripting language, but has very little to do with the
discussion at hand. NVDA basically just wraps the various
accessibility libraries and functionality of Windows and is a very
small and robust little screen reader.

However, contrary to your message below it does not use any screen or
keyboard hooks. Based on what I've seen NVDA merely monitors the
Windows messages and events and then processes that information into
spoken or braille feedback for the blind user. In short, it is all
event driven and does not use any keyboard intercepts or off-screen
displays like Jaws uses which was there long before Windows had its
own accessibility APIs. NVDA is a new screen reader using newer up to
date techniques for handling Windows access so has none of the bad
hacks and workarounds found in older screen readers like Jaws that had
no other access to the information until now.

Since NVDA uses a stock event driven keyboard interface it naturally
does not interfere with something like DirectX. NVDA doesn't try to
intercept and take control over the keyboard the way Jaws does. I
think a lot of the things Jaws does is now deprecated and to be honest
I think the screen reader needs a good rewrite to get with the times.
Once done Jaws would be more compatible with games using DirectX as
well as not be so sluggish in certain apps and games where its
keyboard hooks slows down input drastically.