The actual details of making Alter Aeon accessible were much easier
than for most projects, because the game server itself is purely text
based and already had low spam modes.  Most of the accessibility
changes were additional filtering, special commands to display single
pieces of information instead of an entire screen, and a dedicated
blind mode that changed how certain things were displayed.  None of
these took a huge amount of time alone, but there were a lot of them.

As for why I originally did it, I thought it was amazing that the
blind were playing the game, and I was bored, and I liked the person
who asked.

I keep doing it now because most of our players are blind and we have
a solid community built up on the server.  I consider the blind/VI
crowd to be my largest target audience.

As I mentioned above, keep in mind that Alter Aeon had a lot going for
it right from the start:  the server was purely text based, we had
spam filters for other reasons, and our blind community started Mush-Z
on their own.  Most mainstream games will have zero of these things,
and it'll be a LOT more work (if not impossible) to convince
developers to support the blind.

Dennis Towne

Alter Aeon MUD
http://www.alteraeon.com