Hello, thanks for the suggestions. Current plans are to include a
"special wave" on every fifth wave, and as I'm looking for more ideas
for these, I might try implementing them in some form. I want to
reply to the spirit of these suggestions, though, if for no other
reason than to let folks know where this is going and why.

I've gotten lots of private suggestions that seem cool, but would
make the game very complicated. My goals with Torrent are two-fold:

1.  Break new ground. Space Invaders has been done to death, and
Asteroids hasn't. I'd like to provide a simple-to-learn, fun and
infinite arcade game while remaining true to a simple concept--
blasting lots and lots of asteroids. While they'd be fun, complex
missions, cutscenes, a storyline, automated drones would make the
game too complex for what I envision.

2.  Iteratively develop a reusable, easy-to-use, cross-platform
engine for sophisticated accessible gaming. I recently broke the
engine away from Torrent itself, and that which is Torrent is
surprisingly small. My next game will build on the engine component,
expanding it and its modules to support 3-D, embedded scripting, more
physics and perhaps even multiplayer games. But I needed a simple
concept to start out with, and it happened to be Asteroids-like.

And, if all goes to plan, that next game will give you all the
complexity you could possibly imagine. Though no non-prototype code
is written, there's a reasonably advanced blueprint in my head
already. Think Lone Wolf., in outer space, with both missions and a
"campaign mode" for longer, more open-ended games. It's also loosely
inspired by another very old but wildly-successful concept--Elite.
Check it out if you aren't familiar. You might be intrigued. More
than that, I'm not saying. :)

So Torrent itself will be rather limited in scope, but I think it
makes more sense to produce a fun but somewhat limited product that
still breaks new ground, then focus my attention on this next project
(which is what I wish I could be working on now. :) And my interest
in game development hinges more on concepts like procedural
synthesis, so many of my concepts will probably be light on story and
cutscenes but heavy on random elements and open-endedness. Despite
this initial simplicity, however, I'm not planning to leave those of
you desiring complexity out in the cold.