Well if it did who knows.
I think the big thing is that whoever takes over needs to be as good as the big ms corp. Ms usually sues whoever it is to death first or manages to et buy, also since just about everyone or at least quite a lot of us in the western reagon at least rely or use windows in a large part right now you can't just pull the plug.