Hi Tom.

Your probably correct that as people learn typing in school, the "hunt and peck" as you call it type of thing will drop out of favour, though unless someone is a professional and needs to take dictation or frequently type long peaces of work how long it will continue and whether someone would just go back to what is for sighted people the more natural method of looking at the keys I don't know.

Either way, my point was just that this is probably one area where the touch screen phone system would be equal to a keyboard for most people, ---- indeed with the increasing frequency of text short, abbreviated speech and such I do wonder if things are perhaps going a bit far ther other way.

Beware the Grue!

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2015 12:27 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] xbox accessibility?

Hi Dark,

Well, if it makes you feel any better I have observed much of the same
behavior over here in the States. Back when I was a college student in
the late 90's I use to do computer tech support and while I'd expect
most college students to have some degree of typing skills quite a few
did not. Many of them were very slow because they took their first
finger and pointed and pecked at keys. I would hope that many of those
probably later on took a typing class to learn to type properly at
some point as it would be very difficult to type out a long paper with
those kinds of typing skills, but be that as it may just because
someone is a student of a college or university does not naturally
make a student a good typist. Especially, if they have always just
hunted and pecked at keys for short e-mails and chatting on Facebook
etc.

What's more there is another angle which should be mentioned. There
are a lot of older people now getting computers to stay in touch with
their kids and grandchildren through Facebook, Twitter, e-mail,
whatever. Many of them may have had no long term exposure to a
computer so may or may not have good typing skills either. So do
whatever seems easiest to them which is the old hunt and peck method.
I've observed it off and on the last few years so I know the issue you
described does exist, and it is not specific to any country and is not
necessarily the failure of any specific education system.

This is only a guess on my part but I think what Tim is describing are
professionals and semi-professionals who learned to type through
school, college, or somewhere else and of course uses those skills in
office related jobs. I can't speak for him since I don't really know
him, but he does make a point that typing is frequently offered here
in the States through high school and so forth and it is something
everyone really should  know. So I suspect that due to the
availability of typing classes in most schools as an elective the
number of people who hunt and peck are probably slowly but surely
being replaced by people who can actually type.