To: "gamers" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2015 6:23 PM
Subject: [Audyssey] chess or mahjong

I actually went and  researched Mahjong in response to this topic.

A lot of the complexity of coding such a beast would be your
definition of what Mahjong is.

There's apparently a number of different variations ranging from
relatively simple to immensely complex.  Our card game Rummy is based
on it.  I studied a couple of simpler multi-player versions, and had a
simpler solitaire set up explained to me by my wife.  The game's setup
as a solitaire game presents some unique challenges in an audio
environment, having multiple levels, some of which you can see only
partially that all must be displayed more or less simultaneously.  In
the traditional games, the challenge is more one of mastering the rule
sets well enough to create a game that accurately reproduces the game
play.

Warning: I did not investigate American Mahjong extensively because it
appears much simpler and more derivative from the original versions.
That said, it might be a way to progress.  If I were to attempt it,
with the help of my pet coder (hi Aaron! that's you), I'd lean toward
doing a multi-player version based on the Hong Kong old style rules I
studied.  They seemed simple enough to master relatively easily,
complex enough to be interesting, and different enough from card games
to present a unique challenge.  That said, I don't see it happening
any time soon.  I need to get a Mahjong set and experiment with it
before I could design an AI that played even reasonably well.

Take care,

Jeremy

--
In the fight between you and the world--back the world! Frank Zapa