Well tom while true of laptops I do know that desktops in general at least the ones up to 2011 would have the required ports they have only recently gone full usb. There is still a moniter port on my laptop and I know that the new systems I got one from 2011 and the other from 2014 still have paralel ports.
But yeah its all usb.
there is probably a paralel to usb converter somewhere wouldn't surprise me.
I mean there is serial to usb, vga moniter to usb, I know for a fact there is old style vhs tape recorder to usb because I have one.
even audio to usb.
In short there are as many converters as there are usb ports in a computer.
Weather the software is accessable and not in chinese is another thing you can buy bog standard converters for vhs I know for a fact for a few bucks the software is either old or cracked or old and cracked but point is you can buy stuff.
There are pro stuff to if you search so there is probably a way.
I am not sure how easy it is to wrig up a simple no frills one, but when my power cord on one of our pcs broke my dad was able to hook up a length of headphone wire and a few headphone plugs in place of the broken cord and although it ran a bit hot at the ends it did work. Ofcause this was back just before 2000 and now with everything so secured like the iphone chargers you can't just put any wrigged cord in.
An old unit though as long as you were prepaired to configure it who knows.
There is probably something like com0com for a paralel port or something.
Though a good converter will automatically convert for you.
I am not sure about software.
Though to be honest if were meaning pamphlets for various things I'd go the electronic rout, I am not sure how to make e braille but its all the rage.
Audio mp3 daisy even standard cds.
You could still buy braillers to.
Finally I know for a fact that some organisations can hire out their units for online transfer of info via mail but you'd still have togo to the physical location to pick it up. I have a few old perkins units which I have not used ever since I got back into computers in 1995 so I have no idea if they work or not.