Hi Lori,

Well, I generally place my garde towers pretty far away from my
settlement that way if goblins come all the fighting is as far away
from my settlement as possible. I generally place my settlement in the
center of the map, or as centered as possible, and then my guard
towers are at least four or five squares away from my nearest building
that way it gives me a bit of open area for fighting and to use as a
buffer between my settlement and the goblin raiders.

Cheers!