Just a quick correction, the classic version of powerbasic (console version is only $89, though the classic gui version is $99. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Where else can you get a professional compiler that produces small fast code for 89 bucks? I say, nowhere. So, go get yourself a copy. Sure, it only works on windows, and I'm not a big fan of windows, but porting to freebasic for alternate programs isn't difficult, though you need to use external libs for things like sound and networking under freebasic, and it's code isn't nearly as compact or fast as powerbasic, but it's always an option.