Marty,

You might have a look at how the old HeroQuest board games worked.
That might be a model for a roleplaying game that might be a happy
medium between your dice/card/board game model of building and the
more in depth RPG that people would like.

The brief description is this: in the old HeroQuest games, you picked
one of four characters a dwarf, a barbarian, an elf, and a wizard.
Then your character navigated a board with passages, rooms, doors,
traps, and monsters.  However, the board was set up differently for
each game by placing elements in different configurations.  This could
be accomplished by a number of methods: 15 or 25 maps for instance, or
a random card/corridor placement that uses some simple rules to avoid
dumb arrangements.  The characters would use dice to move a certain
number of spaces on the board, or to resolve combat.  There were very
few extras such as spells, or monster abilities to fiddle with, and
one could create a fun game by varying up the purpose of the quest:
sometimes you had to escape the dungeon, sometimes you hunted a large
boss monster, sometimes you had to find  a specific item.  The game
was limited by its format, but I know I played many happy hours of it
once our school outlawed D&D groups.  This might be a good compromise
between Dark's suggestions and something more complicated.  It also
had a clear set of rules.  However, it'd be fairly simple to set up
essentially the same system by developing a list of possible traps,
spells, monsters, items, etc.  Heroes were allowed to keep items from
previous adventures.  I don't remember if they improved as time went
on in some form of experience system, but it would be easy enough to
do so.

Take care,

Jeremy

--
In the fight between you and the world--back the world! Frank Zapa