I  would  actually have  a few crappy  things  round.
When you win the first stadium, you will immediately want to store your best and bring out your crap!
Why, because  the shaddow  king will steal them from  you.
Then he will pit you against them.
I have not lost to him the second time, but basically if you give him crap you can earn it back and he leaves you alone, get your worth wile stuff later.
Keep his rat though its narly.