I'm pretty sure those save files are not easily editable. If you
really wanna change the course of the game, you should try using a
trainer program like Cheatomatic, or have a look at the sourcecode.
Generally though, I would like to know, you're not using the
afterburners in mission mode, right? Because if you are, that's a fast
road to getting your fuel used up before you reach the end of the
north0northeast course. You wanna be at around 684knots when in
mission mode. If you are in a fix with constant enemy fire, you can
temporarily escape it by going up to thin air, 50000 feet or above to
be exact, though you should know that that is an unsafe altitude and
you should only stay up there for a few seconds to get away from enemy
fire, and then go back down to a safe altitude. Too much time up there
could result in your engine exploding.