When making aliases, if you want to use the vertical bar in your alias, you need to preceed it with a backslash character. I have lots of aliases that do this kind of thing, and it works fine. Normally, the vertical bar is used just like in unix, as a redirect to the next command, but in aliases, it removes them before actually doing anything with them. I've also discovered that with tintin, it's nearly impossible to get a vertical bar into an alias. I always have to login with a different client to get this to work. After it's setup though, tintin works fine.