Hmmm.
I do agree some of those commands are a bit inflexable.
the cd command yes you could switch folders but still remain in your home drive.
You have to switch to that drive first.
But it all depends how you were brought up.
I was born in 1982, in 1991 I got my first computer.
for 5.5 years I used dos.
in 1996 I got my first windows system but still used dos.
in 2002 I got my next system with windows.
Still used dos for some stuff a bit less.
in 2006 I got my next system, still used dos a bit.
in 2010 I got another system.
Still used dos, though by then the system was dieing the battery got vary hot and the drives were failing.
In 2011 I stopped using dos.
Its 2017 now and about 4 years back I got the system I am using now.
I only use windows, however through my teen years I used dos for gaming etc.
Its true I used the keysoft shell most of my life so the only time I ever did true dos were reformats, setups, or gaming so I probably didn't do much. Where I had to do something complex I set a batch file to do it though I have read more complex dos stuff. Dos died with the later windows and the fact with 64 bit units ms is really pushing dos out. Problem is now everyone thinks that if the system puts an error out they expect to click something for it to go away, no one appreciates how things work. Judging from your mail, you were either going through the electronic borg process between worlds of windows and dos or you had a hard time of it. Dos was a single task nightmare and sometimes I wished it could be a bit better.
But I still liked it at times.
Even screen readers now are not as good as the dos ones were.