aah.
for some reason if you have the office xp and higher loaded with latest service
pack and 2003 maybe higher, there are 2 recognition engines and major issues.
To fix this.
c:
in \program files\ coman files\microsoft shared\speech I think, you will find a
file called sapisvr.exe
run this once then run the sapi.cpl.
ok sapi.cpl, then run sapi.cpl again, you will no longer get the runtime errors.