Hi Nicol,
This is one reason that reading the Harry Potter books would allow you to
understand what is going on and what to do about it.
In book three Harry encounters a similar situation in the staff room.
I do not want to give away the answer until,
you,
read,
this,
space,
so,
those,
who,
do,
not,
want,
the.,
answer,
can,
stop,
reading.
Harry encounters a Boggart in the staff room that was hiding in a closet.
A Boggart is a shape shifting creature that takes the shape of what your are
afraid of.
In both Harry and Sarah's case the  Boggart  looks like a Dementor.
Since Sarah thinks it is a Dementor I did not want to give away what it
really is.
In the book Harry used the ridiculous spell to chase the Boggart away and so
can Sarah.
So it is not a bug but a deliberate part of the game.

Phil