Hi Charles,
I think he was saying in Sci-Fi movies, books, and shows  the dead don't
always stay dead. They invent some way of bringing the person back to
life, or at least bring in a character like them while not exactly being
the real deal.
In Sci-Fi lore the person always comes back as a clone, or comes from a
parallel demmention, someone rewrites history so that person ends up not
dying, and so on.
A perfect example is Emperor Palpatine clearly dies in Star Wars Return
of the Jedi, but he comes back in one more Star Wars book when the New
Republic heroes discover there has been a clone of Emperor Palpatine
running around for 10 years undetected. Unlikely, but good escuse to
bring the guy back from the dead, or at least use his character again.