Hi Andy,
That would be nice, but selling audio based games through Target,
Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc is just about impossible.
First, no audio game developer i know of has the money to put out for
production costs to burn and print thousands of cds, money to package
cds, and then ship them to stores nation wide. Activision, Nintendo, etc
have mass production abilities that is impossible for a small time
developer.
Recently, Draconis stopped producing cds. One reason is there is a major
decline in disk sales for audio games. Some other reasons are it costs
money to design the artwork for the cd cover and disk, price of the cds,
shipping and handling, and that doesn't even include the ware on the cd
burner. Those cd burners in your computer were not made for mass
production and after a few hundred disks the lasers go out on them, and
they are junk. I've seen it happen more than once.
Second, we are talking about a product for a minority market. with in
the blind minority market itself which Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Staples
won't carry, or else they would be selling Jaws 8, Window eyes 6.1, Zoom
Text, etc along with the rest of their software titles on sale.
Finally, as strange as it sounds I think the audio games market has a
better chanse reaching folks through the internet or sandwitching adds
in adaptive tech mags or catalogs. To go really mass market like you are
talking about would require millions to start up, and require agressive
tv, radio, and other kinds of adds. Only to reach a few million people.
Of which the majority of those world wide are elderly, and don't use
computers at all. When you finally get done there is actually a pretty
small market of those who could actually play the audio games that might
not reach the cost to put into mass marketing to begin with.