Hi Andy,
Those effects are just PCM wav samples played back by MS DirectX
DirectSound.
However, keep in mind when you begin writing games wav sound effects
have copyrights so if you use any you have to make sure you either
created them yourself, baught them from a sound vender, or use them if
they are non-licensed.