Hi Shaun,
Well, let me just say STFC 2.0 will blow 1.0 away in stability as well
as new features. I still have my todo list and suggestions for 1.0 so
allot of that stuff is going in 2.0 from the start. For example from the
ops station there is a new option in 2.0 which allows you to view the
entire star map by arrowing around the screen, and uses commands to get
information on certain ships, stations, planets, etc. Kind of like using
the main viewer.
Another interesting change is phasers will be pulled directly off the
warp/impulse engines just like on TNG so you won't have to wait around
for phasers to charge to fire them. if you have main or aux power you
can fire at will at your enemies.
That's another thing. New in 2.0 is aux power witch means if your main
power is taken out by an enemy vessel you have auxiliary backup systems
to take over shields and weapons control.
Then our friend the main deflector dish has made a return which gives
you some heavy hitting power. Unlike a phaser that thing can really
damage enemy ships.
One feature i am still debating on is saucer seperation. The Enterprise
D used it to good use in Encounter at Farpoint and Best of Both Worlds
II, and you might be able to come up with two ships instead of one in
some combat situations. Though, you are deviding your over all ship
strength in the process.