Hi Damien,
Not to be harsh on you, but keep in mind the rules state that any off
topic post should be cleared by Raul or myself before it is posted to
the list. So by stating, "slightly off topic," you admit as much as
knowing the topic is somewhat off post and requires moderator approval.
Personally, I think for something that is this general a better forum
for this type of question is
http://www.blindprogramming.com.