Hi,
Well, the manual states you can jump up to 4 feet in either direction.
The real trick with this game is to listen closely, probably stand
still, until the monster is near and jump over it. That said you have to
train your ear to do this.
If I put in a announcement, sound, or some kind of indication when to
jump I've just effectively taken away a certain challenge in the game.