1. When you attack an enemy farm..do u take it over or is it burnt to
the ground?

It is burnt to the ground. You cannot capture an enemy building.

More generally, about the suggestions leading far from Warcraft's or
Starcraft's design: I'm sure that there are many possibilities, but
exploring them would require too much time (and would probably lead to
several distinct RTS games). I wander off the original design only
when I don't know how to translate an aspect of the gameplay.

2. I am having trouble moving around the map with the control key and
arrow keys. Do you literally have to pick a path one square at a time
to move the men?

If you press Control + arrow keys, you will move freely on the map.
Then, if you are controlling units and you press backspace, the units
will go to the square you are currently examining. So you don't have
to pick a path one square at a time to move the men. This way, you can
order a peasant (or a soldier in defensive mode) to scout a very far
square.

3. When you start a game your buildings and the enemies should be
randomly generated so they don't start at the same spot each time.

This bug is solved in the beta 7.