Hi Bryan,
Yes, there was a god called Amen spelled, "a m e n," but sounds like ah
men. What happened was over the centuries monotheism, the belief in one
god, reached Egypt, and they rolled there gods into one god named Amen.
He became the lord of lords, god of gods, king of the universe, etc...
He is actually more like the Christian, Juish, and Islamic belief in one
god who created the earth, man, etc...
Cheers.