This is starting to get a bit off topic, but it's one of those grey
areas I realize as well. So, I'll answer this, but let's try to get away
from the more technical aspects of how ip addresses work. I too need to
watch this myself because I used to be a dns admin for Sprint and know
too well how ip addressing works. It's true that an isp can force an ip
change, but usually it's set to a pre-determined time like every couple
of weeks. It really does not make sense to change it every 5 minutes
unless the isp is paranoid. Also, if you are on dsl, you probably use
PPPOE to connect and that is basically like dial up over Ethernet. You
still use the point to point protocol IE ppp to connect, but it's over
Ethernet, IE OE, hence PPPOE. The ip address seems to change more often
with this type, but I would doubt that unless you are in a very
different network of Verizon than what they normally use, your ip should
only change when you disconnect and reconnect. If you sign up for
dynamic host account like with www.dyndns.org which is my personal
favorite and one who I've used for 7 years now, you can make it so a
personal host name will always update no matter what your ip is.
Unfortunately, if your ip changes in the middle of a game, it would most
likely interrupt the connection.

Hope this helps, and please let's try to get away from the ip technical
discussion.

Many thanks.

--

Raul A. Gallegos .. http://www.asmodean.net