I should have responded earlier, but I wanted to talk about muds.

Firstly, muds are vastly different from one another.  So if you are
interested in more of a roleplay-oriented mud, some of the ones suggested
won't really work out if others are looking for something that requires
roleplaying.

Personally, I enjoy it all.  Muds that might not seem good to one player
might be another person's cup of tea.

One mud I'd like to suggest is Legends of Karinth.  karinth.com port 1234 is
a mud that also allows you to roleplay, pick your magical powers, as well as
encourages exploration and solving quests.  It's quite fun.

I will be checking out some of the other muds that were listed.  I have
checked out godwars2 but sometimes I think the learning curve might be more
than I am ready to handle.

Jal