Hi Chris and all,
    I see no reason to believe the AIs are anything less than that good.  It
is actually strange to think that this report was written with them on the
'simple' level of difficulty.  Makes me wonder what would happen on higher
ones.
    In particular, I found the blow-by-blow analysis of why the Drengin
acted as they did to be amazing.  That is logic, and something which seems
almost human at that.  This is one of several reasons I want a game like
this, or preferably for Stardock to make the current game accessible.
1. There is no fundamental reason they could not do it.  This game is
turn-based, with no realtime elements whatsoever.  Combat is noninteractive,
and realtime--but the player need not concern himself with it in terms of
reacting quickly.
2. The game itself already has a framework for being accessible.  The 3D
renderer already needs to know the locations of objects in order to render
them properly.  It is only a single logical step or two farther to say that
an audio interface is feasible.  Feed the coordinates already used by the
renderer into the interface.
3. To quote from the forums: 'GalCiv 2 is mostly stats, charts, and lists.'
This in itself makes sense--it's a turn-based strategy game after all.  The
starmap is used for planets and such, but that is also an obstacle which
could be overcome relatively easily.
4. The rest of the community that plays the game supports the idea.  If you
read on the forums under the topic I started there are a lot of ideas,
contributions, and thoughts from others.
5. Finally, something like this is unprecedented.  A company making a
mainstream game title accessible to the blind is not something that happens
every day.  I feel that if Stardock were to do this it would do many good
things for the BG community in general, as well as just being an act of good
will.  They already released an entirely new 3D renderer in a patch.
    The link to the forum article is:
http://forums.galciv2.com/?aid=159296#1277109
    I ask anyone who is at all interested in seeing this happen to please
post on them telling the developers so.
Yours,
Zack.