From: "Thomas Ward" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2007 4:49 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Kitchensinc games in vb6

Hi Jim,
Well, about saving space using a self extractor program verses a full
blown installation it really depends on the installation wizard you use.
For example, Microsoft's Setup Installation wizard, msi, is bloated and
you don't really seam to save much space when packing your  game files
using it.. However, Inno Setup 5 has a feature that will allow you to
compress as you pack the files which acts not only as an installation
wizard, but as it packs them it uses similar compression methods as self
extractor, and does save loads of space.
I don't have a comparison between self extractor and Inno's compression
methods, but I can say Inno's compression is typically quite exceptable
for most developers and is widely regarded as pretty  good.
Anyway, I've got allot of nice updates to my Vista compatibility chart
including some work arounds for playing the BSC games under Vista which
allot of user's will want to read.

Jim Kitchen wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> that sounds good about the new and improved compatibility chart.
>
> As far as my game menu goes, well it may be cheaper now, but years ago I
> was paying some money for limited web site storage and band width.  I
> thought the extra meg or so that the install program added was an awful
> waste, so I thought that putting them all in one folder with a game menu
> like I wrote for my dos computer would be a good idea.  Then a friend told
> me about the WinZip self extractor and it all came together.  It still
> does save a heck of allot of space and band width.
>
> BFN

[EMAIL PROTECTED]