Hello Jim. I disagree with your statement that the vast majority of
users will only have one account and don't need to worry about such
problems. The reason I disagree with this is because who is to say that
the vast majority of blind computer users have a computer which only
they use. We have three computers here at home and two of them have
multiple accounts, the main computer is the adult computer with accounts
for me, my wife, and a test account. The second is the kid's computer
with an account for me and one for my two older kids. The third one is a
laptop computer which just has an account for me. So, in this example, I
fall into what you say for only one computer, but not for both. My son
Tristian loves playing BSC games and so under XP, I had to make his
account an admin account just to let him play those games because you
cannot play BSC games even under XP unless you are an admin. By doing
this, I am able to play BSC games under my own account and he is able to
play them under his account.

If everyone would follow standards of security and directory structures,
then it would not matter whether there are multiple users or only one
user on a computer. I'm not singling you out here nor am I saying I
totally agree with all of Tom's statements, but on this one I do fully
agree that things really should be installed in the correct place. On a
side note, we had a similar discussion at GW Micro because for
Window-Eyes 6.1, we changed the directory structure of where the user
set files go. Previously they would go into c:\wineyes\users\default,
but now they go into the Application Data directory for each user and
under that the folder structure is "GW Micro\Window-Eyes\Users\Default
making the entire path something like c:\users\Raul\bla\bla\bla\GW
Micro\Window-Eyes\Users\default. Seems rather long, but that is the way
Vista is and I frankly agree with it. Coming from a Unix and Linux
background, it's about time that Microsoft stepped up to the plate and
got more serious about security. People should not run admin accounts
even in a single user environment, but that is straying off onto
something else which is not for this list.

What I'm trying to say is that although it seemed like you were being
singled out, I don't think it was anything personal. Many game devs made
the same mistake, and I'm sure not all of them were for games for the
blind either. The best solution IMHO is to change the way games install
their data and follow standards, so that regardless of whether it's a
single user or a multi-user environment, they will just work.

All the best.

Jim Kitchen wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Yes, I doubt that I would have copped an attitude if like you have done now,
> researched and stated that all older games are going to have this problem
> rather than seeming to single out my games.  I mean look at the subject line
> of this thread.  I have seen people on this list be hesitant to install my
> games because of the things that you have said about them.  Just like when
> you decided to install my games in a manner that they were not designed to be
> and started the whole discussion about my install program in my winkit.zip
> file.  In both cases it was because of the way that you set up and run your
> computer, but you put the blame on my games.  I would wager that the vast
> majority of people who play accessible games are not going to set up and run
> multiple user accounts as you have done and thus they will not have the
> problems with my games as you have been posting about on the list.  I know at
> this point I should not get started on how much and badly you have put down
> my
choice of programming language or your complaint about not being able to change
my sound files, but I definitely have felt the need to call you on your
inaccurate statements about the problems with my games that you have then
retracted or amended.

--
Raul A. Gallegos .. http://www.asmodean.net