Hi Phil,
Ideally a time trial to get placement would be the best way to do this.
However, in order for me to create such a feature into the game I would
have to have certain data in hand like what is the fastesttime on record
to complete that track, and what was the slowest time to qualify. Then,
I could enter those times in the random generator to place the other
cars on the track and place you amung them.
So for the moment the game will simply select a random placement of the
cars, but if I should ever get the necessary data to make a time trial
possible I would convert the game over to a true Nascar time trial to
qualify for placement.