Ah yes, Mike Reiss. His voie is very well-known to anybody who has any of
the Simpsons DVD sets, of which I am the proud owner of four. If you listen
to the audio commentary he's in a lot of the episodes along with Matt
Groening himself most of the time and a few others. I suppose if the games
are free they're not as likely to chew you out. That's been a topic of
discussion for other games as well. On the AudioGames.net forum for instance
we got to discussing the possibility and difficullty of writing an audio
game in a similar style to Metroid, which is one of the games I loved as a
kid and still play today. A few folks wanted a straight remake but it seems
to me that programming a game as complex as even the original NES Metroid
was would make it less than feasible to release it as freeware, it didn't
seem smart to slap a price tag on it since, while Nintendo does seem most
open to the idea of games for the blind (at least from my few dealings with
them), they're said to be extremely aggressive about their trademarked
characters, Mario, Link and of course, Samus Aran from the Metroid series.
So then the debate became how much of the style did we take from Metroid and
how much did we make up ourselves. It got quite heated as i recall since
some people wanted a game where you had to constantly find materials to
maintain your power suit's functionality and stuff like that that wasn't in
the Metroid games and would, in all probability, make the game so tedious
that many people wouldn't be inclined to play it. Then there were those who
felt that te finding and collecting suit upgrades, which is one of the
selling points of the Metroid series, would make it too tedious and that
there needed to be more resoure management for maintaining those suit
functions you already had. Another game we've talked about was the original
Prince of Persia. Most people felt that it might be fairly easy to do a
Prince of Persia style game since everything that happened did so very close
to the player character. Much of the atmosphere of the game could probably
be extremely easy to convey with sound only, not to mention the traps
themselves, of which those games had many.
Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.