Hi,
Well, I owned a couple of the Speak and Spells and both did extremely
different and weird things when the batteries were low. It was down
right funny if you ask me when it started going weird.
Speaking of funny Speak And Spell stories this one time I remember a
girl in my first grade class who got one out of the school library on
her library card. Well, she was toying around with it as we were walking
back  to class when it accidently slipped from her hands and went flying
down a flight of stairs. Actually two flights if you countthe the
landing in the middle. In any case it was trying to prompt for a word
when it went clatter clatter down the stairs. When the girl ran down the
stairs and picked it up amazingly it still sort of worked. Except when
it tried to speak it made all kinds of goofy noises and popped and
hissed. Basically, the same sortsof weird behaviors you get when the
batteries were low except in this case it was stuck in that mode forever.