Hi Dean,
The answer to the puzzle is actually so simple I suspect you will kick
yourself pretty hard that you didn't figure it out sooner. Here is a
major spoiler.

After picking up the gold coins move to the right, jump onto the rope,
and climb down to room 9. Didn't i say the answer was simple and
obvious?? <Smile>