Hi Tom,
Well, hopefully I won't have to drop anything to support force feedback
racing wheels on the Windows platform. Another lister and I have been
talking about an open source game library called JInput off list which
is suppose to wrap DirectX for Java based games. As a result I could
easily create an AWT game controler interface for Mac OS and Linux, and
a JInput game controller interface for Windows which would give me the
ability to control racing wheels, game pads, and the usual features
Windows users want. So where I am currently it strongly looks like Java
1.5.14 is the language I should be doing multiplatform games in and it
looks like I can make both sides of the issue happy to a greater degree.
With hopefully very miner changes in the games source to do it.
I've also been looking at an open source library called Joal. This is an
open source library that supports OpenAL. With Joal I should be able to
create completely 3D audio environments on Mac, Linux, and Windows with
not allot of major issues between them. So again this looks very
promising news so far.
Finally, I am uncertain how to handle speech output, but if there is a
will there is a way. The easiest and time tested method is just to
record voice clips and load them in real time like Sarah, Troopenum,
Sound RTS, etc do.

Cheers.