Thomas,

Here are some technical accessibilty notes on porting your game.

1. Java talks to screen readers via the Java Access Bridge. The J A B does
not work with all screen readers, specifically Window-Eyes. I've talked
with Clarence at G W, and this isn't likely to change soon. The J A B may
work with Dolphin's screen reader. Dark was going to do an experiment
awhile ago to test that. The J A B does not work with the speech part of
ZoomText.

2. BTW. There are ways to talk to TextAloud and ReadPlease that do not use
the J A B. But they are awkward.

3. There are some undocumented tricks to getting the J A B to work with
Java. Nothing grotesque, just practical stuff. If you do decide to go that
way, I can show them to you since I've been doing it for our Game Book for
years.

4. The FreeTTS speech engine does allow you to change pitch. This is what I
do in our Inspector Cyndi in Newport mystery games in order to have women
and men, young and old, sound different. Funny thing is that when Steve and
Marsha at the Visually Impaired and Blind Users Group here in Boston were
playing the Inspector Cyndi in Newport games recently, they turned off JAWS
and used the FreeTTS because they said they preferred it sound because A.
it was "more reliable" and B. it had different pitches.

5. There is a S A P I interface to the FreeTTS engine. I explored it
briefly, but ran out of time. If that could be made to work, then you'd
likely have access to any S A P I compliant voice on whatever target
system. If you do go that way, I'd love to work with you on it because I'd
like that for our games.

Regardless, I'll be real interested to see what an experienced coder can do
with this. I code on all three operating systems and would love to port our
stuff. (If Marketing would just give me the time.)

John Bannick
Chief Technology Officer
7-128 Software