Hi Kara and all.

Well as many have indicated or seemed to have indicated here, the voice
that works best for the job depends on what you are doing at the time.
For myself if I am just doing normal day to day drudgery like going on
the web or doing work in open office etc. then I will use my Dectalk
express if I am on my main system.  For doing any serious reading I
agree the scansoft Karen is an excellent choice or one or another of the
scansoft male voices if you are reading something that is better suited
to a male narrator.  What all this comes down to is personal preference
and resource management.  There is no doubt that at least in the windows
environment the better the voice is the less responsive it also is and
the more resources it eats up.  I understand this is not supposed to be
the case with the new apple voices e.g. they sound very good and are
very responsive, but I have no direct experience with this and frankly
would have to see it to believe it on more than one system because just
because a tts engine works well on one system doesn't mean it always
works that way.  Likewise, I have no direct experience with software
speech under linux, whenever I have used that I've either gone in using
a terminal with some other synth or if I am running direct on the linux
box I have used hardware speech of one sort or another.  I am seriously
getting the urge to setup my spare machine as a linux box and start
playing around with some of this stuff under linux but that's getting
far afield here.

As for Eloquence, well yes I am used to it because many of my students
use jfw and that is what they have, plus it is the only tts engine that
works on my pac mate so I of course use it there.  Again it is fine for
normal day to day use, and I agree the response time is pretty good at
least on a fairly fast system.  But that doesn't mean that is what
engine I am going to choose to read the latest Tom Clancy book.

Well I've rambled on long enough, later days!

Tom