Hi Corry and all,
I know some of you are excited about the potential of supporting smart
phones, but my feeling is this. First, it is imparative that USA Games
finishes our tests using the Java platform for games. Second, we need to
build a stable and working engine to base games on. Third, build a
working game which is tested on Mac, Linux, and Windows. After that we
can then think about what comes next such as supporting smart phones,
PDA's, and other devices.
I would like to state I am not uninterested in supporting smart phones.
Actually, I think it would be a giant leap in access gaming technology.
However, the research and basic tools, tool kits, and code base must be
designed from the ground up before we can expand in to new and perhaps
untapped markets. Before designing on a new platform a company needs to
write test applications, simple test  games, for that market to make
sure the developer knows how to target the platform correctly.
For example, assume I wanted to target a smart phone. I am new to the
j2me platform, new to writing games for phones, and want to start off
easy. The last thing I want to do is port a major production game to the
phone and find out I did it wrong. Instead of beginning with the very
large game, which takes several hours of man power, I might write
something smaller like Space Invaders, Empire Strikes Back, or Monopoly.
Basicly design something I can get results quickly and debug my code and
learn what I did right and wrong with a simple app rather than a large app.