Hi Ryan,
Pretty much. If you change the names of characters, use generic
characters, and remove the more copyright elements from a game company x
can eat rice cakes.
For example, on the USA Games list I stated if Phil removed the names
for the gosts, ccat, and Dobbi and called them mail ghost, cat, Elf, etc
J.K. Rowling could jump in the river, because you can't copyright
generic things like Elves, cats, and ghosts if they are called that. You
can however copyright an Elf named Dobbi if his character is
substantially developed.