Hi Bryan and all,
Well, Flash looks quite a bit like Java. It is syntactically and
functionally similar  to the Java  programming language. From what I
have seen of flash it looks pretty easy to learn. Though, I am pretty
familiar with Java so obviously Flash looks really easy to me.I've got
the necessary history and background to instantly look at the code and
get a grasp of what is going on.
However, unlike Java developmen tools Adobe Flash CS is extremely
expensive. I mean really expensive. The compiler and developmen IDE is
something like $700 per single user license, and an additional $199 for
upgrades.  It is quite an investement for a developer. So unless you
plan to sell games it isn't very cost effective. Java, C++, or something
else would be more cost effective for a game developer.
Then, there is accessibility. Adobe products from what I have seen
aren't always very accessible. I can't speak for Adobe Flash CS, but
Dreamweaver  isn't on my favorite list of web development tools. It
drives me up the wall.