Hi Dark,

  I suspect by the time that running current net framework based games
becomes a major issue in windows, someone will come up with some kind of
alternative, ---- as has already happened with dosbox, --- or maybe
Microsoft will release some sort of fixes to make vista compatible with
direct X (sinse I don't imagine they will be very popular if all direct X
and net developers have to spend years converting their software over to
C++.
End quote

Dark, there are a couple of things in your post I would like to correct.
Just so no one is confused.
First, DirectX and Managed DirectX works fine on Vista. That really
isn't the issue here. The issue is that Managed DirectX, the .Net
component of DirectX 9.0C, is being fazed out in favorite of the Managed
XNA Framework.That means no more upgrades to Managed DirectX.
Second, you mentioned an alternative to DirectX. It is already here, and
it is called Microsoft XNA Framework. the problem is that the way
Managed XNA applications are developed it is not accessible to a blind
developer. You have to be able to use the XAct tool, which ships with
XNA, and since it is not speech friendly I can't convert to it easily.
Finally, most sighted .Net game developers won't have to spend years
converting to C++. the reason is they can easily use the XNA Framework
which is no big deal converting from Managed DirectX to XNA if you can
see. You just need to rewrite all of your input and audio code to
conform to the new standards. Until the XAct tool becomes accessible
full 3D audio games in with the XNA Framework is not going to be possible.
That is why I am looking at alternatives. In my case if I can't use
Managed DirectX or XNA I have no choice but to switch to an
authentically new language and API when Managed directX is no longer
supported.