S4 is a very different style of game.

You do just about make your own plot through the variety of missions, the different events that can happen, and the different outcomes of those events.

for example, I was returning to the finis federation system after successfully deffending new ireland to receive a mission involving an uprising on finis prime.

getting there, i found that rebels had captured some ships, so required me to take them out. For that service, the federation awarded me the governorship of the planet sargoth, --- just next door to Finis prime.

then, with reports of near by aggression in the baiten system, I had to go and try my best to blockade the baiten jump point. Traveling to this blockade i caught up with an enemy Vip, ---- who I subsequently attempted to capture, ---- and failed.

and so on. The game has so many flexible events and factors when you get to the later portions of the game (especially with a battleship fighting in fleet battles), that you don't need some specific gamebook style plot.

the fact that everything is also done through news reports of the war just adds realism and atmosphere to things.

Beware the Grue!

Dark.
-----