I've been off here for a while so knowing this is an older post, I wanted to give you my thoughts on the Wii. Having played my sister's Wii and my dad's, I got hooked, especially on baseball and boxing, so I bought one. Starting the Wii is simple enough, if you have the patience. There are seven buttons, four on top, three on the bottom, and whenever you point at a button, the Wiimote vibrates. The game button is in the upper left corner, so find that button and push a. That loads the game cd--no matter which one's in. Then, since each procedure for getting each game is different, you'll need some sighted assistance on getting it to work. For sports, you basically press A until you hear two tunes--the second in a slightly higher key than the first--almost like a fanfare. Then you press a and b together and then select games. Baseball, if I remember right, (I've only had the thing for three days now so I'm not sure,) is the second game down on the left, and I think that bowling is below that. I think exploring the WII and learning where things are at can be almost as fun as actually playing the game, and it spreads your enjoyment of the games out a bit if you have the patience for that kind of thing. Anyway, baseball is totally accessibleonce you start. I've scored multiples of home runs and struck out the computer player. Sighted folks are a bit harder to play against because they learn to predict how and when you swing. Bowling? I have gotten four strikes in a row in that game, and if you hit A it switches ball curving on and off. Tennis is my favorite. My sighted brother in law plays me often and I whip him often as not. Boxing can wear you out fast, but again it is accessible. I played my brother in law once on that game, and beat him even though he's a blackbelt at taiquando--haha! Party games 1 has some good games too. I especially like Shuffleboard, and though it helps if you can get a sighted player to help line up the shots, it's not necessary to win, especially against the computer. Ski ball and hoop shoot are fun too, but not as accessible as you just have to play by trial and error until you find the right places to throw and shoot. A game I won't recommend is neighborhood games, as I haven't found one yet that was playable. I wish I'd have bought the musical rhythm game instead, but my kids like the neighborhood one so I don't feel too bad about getting it.

Ken Downey
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bryan Peterson" <b-peter...@hotmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 1:13 AM
Subject: [Audyssey] For all who have or have played the Nintendo Wii...

Hi all,
This is my attempt to start what will hopefully be an informative thread for those who, like me, are considering adding the Nintendo Wii to their collection of Mainstream game consoles. While I do understand that many of the features of the Wii are not likely to be accessible to us, internet, online play, that sort of thing, I am wondering if loading the console and playing the games might not be accessible enough for us. I've heard a few different theories on this. Some say it is and some say not. So I'm curious. There have been a lot of games for the WII, even setting aside the Virtual Console and the fact that Game Cube games are playable on it, that really intrigued me, so I'm wondering if it'd be worth saving money for. I suppose what I really ought to do is go to my local electronics or Best Buy store, someplace like that, and try one of those in-store demos and see for myself. And if I can talk one of my folks or a friend into taking me I may do just that. And then of course there've been the occasional news stories, usually on the Today Show, that seem to suggest that playing the Wii has actually proven benefitial to some people's health due to the fact that it actually gets them up and moving. And I have to say that really sounds like a lot of fun. I'm actually considering playing sports games because of the Wii, where before I could have cared less. So I'm wondering if there are any folks on here who own or have had a chance to play a Wii and what their thoughts are on the matter. As I said I understand that a lot of its features may be inaccessible to many of us but beyond that I'm still curious.