Hi Chris,
It depends on what kind of computer you have. Some will allow you to and some won't. For some reason my laptop won't allow me to boot from a USB device, and the bios will only allow me to bboot from the dvd rom or hard drives. My desktop bios however will allow me to boot from external USB devices such as thumb drives and external hard drives so I can install Windows, Linux, whatever on that USB drive and boot from it. Another way around this is to install a boot manager on your master boot record on your hard drive that can boot or load an external operating system. For example if I installed Linux to a USB drive, if I installed grub to the mbr on the internal hard drive, it would come up on start up with a menu to load Windows from the hard drive or I could load Linux from the USB drive.
HTH

Chris Hallsworth wrote:
How can you do that? I was told Windows can't be installed on external (both IEEE and USB) drives.

--
Chris Hallsworth
E-mail: christopher...@googlemail.com