well I never had that issue mainly because I ended up on using it to buy stuff.
You can get buy if a sertain weapon or 2 shows up in the game at rare and
random times.
however later in the game you need to really fight to get the almost heavy
stuff.
on that note once you are in the castle although you can get em you don't
necessarily get potions although if you battle you can.
The issue I don't like about the game is that by the time you get to the final
fight if you manage to get there at all you have almost no resources, mostly
you run out quickly.