Hi nick, I think I need to explain this a bit clearer. As you probably know Python is a scripting language and requires an interpretor to run. Therefore it is not really compiled to a native Windows program as would be the case if you used a language like C or C++. What py2exe really does is it bundles the Python interpretor and your source code together into an exe file, but it isn't compiled in the triditional sense of the word. It is more like packaged in an executable archive. I hope that makes sense. Anyway, if you want to use py2exe to make an executable archive you'll have to get use to working with the Windows command line for this. Most python tools like that are command line only, not graphical applications, so you have to be somewhat familiar with the Windows command prompt to use them. Here is an overview how py2exe works.
First, download and install py2exe from
http://www.py2exe.org
and install the correct version for your interpretor. Make sure you get the one that is for your version of the Python interpretor. Else you can end up screwing things up a bit. Second, you have to create a custom setup script for your application. Generally this is easy, but for a newby this is an unexpected step. Create a filecalled setup.py, and then you will write a script something like this. For example let us just say the program is called Test. import setup
import py2exe

setup (console=["Test.py"], zipfile=None)

Once you have created and saved your setup script you now have to build the Python exe archive via the command line. Generally you would type a command like this in your source directory.
python setup.py py2exe --bundle 1
If everything worked correctly you would have a file called Test.exe in your dist directory.

HTH