There was a big debate about that on the Entombed discussion list a few weeks back as well, but saving is generally much more a part of that style of game than it generally is for side scrollers, although I have seen a few that did allow you to save. Some felt we should only be allowed to save at Save Points like in some of the Final Fantasy titles, but then there's always the possibility that you're too beaten up to make it back there alive and you'd just have to pray you didn't run into anymore monsters before you made it back. I understand their view point but I don't always agree with it. Of course some games allow for that by including a Quicksave feature, although the file will be erased immediately when you load it up again. But it gives you the option to save if you're on a time crunch or something like that. But I still feel that if someone doesn't like the save-anywhere option they don't have to use it much if at all. They can just remember that next time they die and lose all their hard work.
Vender: No pizza. Only Khlav Kalash.
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 01, 2009 6:22 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Why can't we get a challenging game for once? wasMOTA

Hi Bryan,
Exactly my thoughts. If there is someone who doesn't want to save games while playing there is no law saying they have to. Yes, people can use it to cheat, but cheaters are only cheating themselves in the end.

Bryan Peterson wrote:
A worthy ambition, but given the increased difficulty I have a feeling that if Thomas did that he'd live to regret it. Here's a concept. If ya don't like a given feature of a game, ya don't have to use it. Not trying to be offensive here but that's how I feel. Quite frankly I'm greatful to have the option to save at any point or I probably would have lost patience with the new Beta. And as I grow more comfortable I use it less anyways, usually only right before the boss if I decide I'm going to try to bring him down. Homer: Hey, uh, could you go across the street and get me a slice of pizza?
Vender: No pizza. Only Khlav Kalash.