hmmm hal is still good as long as you have the latest version.
saying that I wouldn't use just one reader, I use nvda, hal and jaws, however
thats my opinion.
Hal is good in some things but really bad in others.
The good things it does is not putting spurious info everywhere.
when you brouse websites then its jaws and nvda, also if you use excell or
advanced word functions, and maybe firefox its jaws or and nvda.
However for things like eudora and winamp its good also you can turn the voice
off on the fly and hotkeys which jaws has not done.
It also hardly crashes.