Hi Jim,
Yes, in many ways Visual Basic .NET is like a new programming language compared to Visual Basic 6. As you pointed out it is fully object oriented rather than procedural programming which may come as something as a new concept for old VB 6 programmers such as yourself. Not only that but instead of the Visual Basic runtime environment and the Win32API Visual Basic .NET uses the .NET Framework which is something else a Visual Basic programmer must learn in order to switch to VB .NET. However, having programmed in VB 6 and now VB .NET 2008 I much prefer VB .NET for several reasons. Not the least of which Windows Vista and Windows 7 natively support VB .NET applications out of the box, and VB 6 apps aren't. As far as getting the user's application data folder in Visual Basic 6 I think you should be able to do it. After all it is part of the Win32 API, but I don't have the proper code right off the top of my head. It has been years since I touched VB 6, and I don't want to point you in the wrong direction. If it were a matter of VB .NET I could easily give you a code example since I am more familiar with VB .NET these days. As far as viruses and other security issues goes it has a lot to do with a persons computer habbits and use as well as basic security measures. As you pointed out you don't make any use of instant messenging, don't get on group sites like facebook.com or myspace.com, etc. I would also say you probably have no interest in downloading software, music, and movies via torrents. Bottom line, you only use a fraction of what the internet has to offer, and you are at a lower risk of getting a virus or some other nasty piece of malware as a result of it. In my personal experience the security problem is two fold. Not only is the computer not secure from a security point of view, but often the end user makes heavy use of the internet downloading pirated music, movies, software, photos, whatever without varifying it comes from a trusted source. Often times these people fall victim to the old bate and switch trick. They'll get an e-mail claiming there is a new recipe or naked picture of some famous actress and the person opens the attachment only to find it was a virus. There are lots and lots of ways to be infected, but most of it comes down to not being careful, and not using proper security tools and practices in the first place.

Smile.

Jim Kitchen wrote:
Hi Thomas,

Yes, I am still developing in VB6. I have been told that all Visual Basic versions newer than that are a totally different type of programming. You know the object oriented thing. And I have not been able to rap my head around that since I have programmed in the other type of Basic for 30 years.

I may be wrong here, but I do not believe that VB6 can support the writing to the end users local directories thing. I did try looking for that ability in VB6 and could not get it.

You are also correct that I run my computer as administrator all the time.

Now I am going to jinx myself. I have in 30 years never had a virus, hard drive crash, registry error or even had to re due a hard drive or anything like that. I do run virus protection on my Internet computer but have no other system tools. Well I do run the system hard drive defrag, but that is it.

BFN

    Jim

BTW I am not on AIM, AOL Instant messenger, BlinkNation, Face Book, Handy, ICQ, Klango, msn, My space, Skype, System Access Mobile Network, twitter, Vinux, Windows Live messenger, yahoo Messenger or any Blog.

j...@kitchensinc.net
http://www.kitchensinc.net
(440) 286-6920
Chardon Ohio USA