Hi Mike,
If you recall when you come up the first wooden staircase into room 14 there is a door to your left leading into rooms 15 and 16. To your right is another staircase leading down, and further to your right is a statue. In order to enter room 17 you had to unlock and move the statue , and enter the secret room behind it. Since you had to walk right to enter room 17 to leave it all you have to do is walk left to go back into room 14. There is another wooden staircase leading down not far from the statue that leads to rooms 18 and 19.

As for torches once you light one you can not put it out unless you enter the flooded room. However, once you put it out with water you can't light that torch again. So the best thing to do is gather up all the torches on the level you can find, there are four of them in all, and use them as you have need.

Mike Maslo wrote:
Hi list:

I am stuck on mota. I get to room 17 and can't figure out what way to go.
There are no doors and no way of putting or going any further. I get stuck
in room 17. Also the torches die so fast. How do I make them last longer? Is
there a way to extinguish them? I read over manual and unless I missed it
there was no way.

Any help would be appreciated.